Have you ever heard of Grady Spears? Well, he is a good ol' Texas cowboy, turned chef. He was the founding chef and co-owner of the Reata restaurants in Alpine and Fort Worth, Texas, and Beverly Hills, California. He also has several cookbooks, if you're interested!!!
I'm sure you've heard of the Coca-Cola cakes before, well if you're from Texas - it's all about Dr. Pepper!!! This recipe is one of my favorites.... (I've lost it a couple of times and decided I'd better get it on my blog before I lost it again!!!)
GRANDMA SPEARS' DR PEPPER CAKE
1 cup butter
1 cup Dr Pepper
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan or three 8-inch pans.
- In a saucepan, heat butter, Dr Pepper anc cocoa until boiling. Remove from heat, cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla. In another bowl, combine eggs, flour and sugar, mixing well. Combine all three mixtures until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 1 hour or until done.
- Remove from oven and pierce cake with fork to make numerous holes. When cool, frost cake.
1 cup butter
3 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons Dr Pepper
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Combine butter, cocoa and Dr Pepper in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Whisk in sugar and remove from heat. Cool before spreading on cake. Enjoy!!!