Thursday, April 23, 2009

Today is National Pigs-in-a-Blanket Day...

I know this is not your typical Pigs-in-a-Blanket, but it's close and it was a nice change!!! It's also from Paula Deen, so there's no way you can go wrong!!! This was very good, especially with a spoonful of Mayhaw jelly on top! yummm...


Sausage Bicuits

* Hickory Smoked Link Sausage, cut in 1/4" slices
* 1 can refrigerated biscuits (10 biscuits per can)
* orange marmalade or any other preserves


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 20 muffin tin cups with vegetable oil cooking spray. Remove the biscuits from the package and separate each one into round halves. Place the halves into the muffin cups. Press 1 slice of smoked sausage into each biscuit, pressing down so that the biscuit comes up around the edges of the sausage. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove the biscuits from the tins and place on a serving platter. Add a spoonful of marmalade or preserves on top!



For those of you not familiar with Mayhaw jelly...

Mayhaws are native to the swamps and lowlands of the Gulf Coast states in the US. They have been collected from wild trees by deep-southerners since antebellum times, and are rarely cultivated in orchards still today. Mayhaws are called berries, but technically they are members of the haw or apple family. In May, the red berries are gathered by hand or scooped out of the water in fishnets. The berries are boiled, then squeezed, to get clear coral colored juice that is made into “the best jelly in the world”. The Mayhaw Jelly dates from the Civil War era arid has been a traditional Southern treat. Here's a photo to show you what the Mayhaw berries look like...



6 comments:

Rachel said...

This is my husband's all-time favorite appetizer (pigs in a blanket), so I know he'll LOVE this variation!

theUngourmet said...

I have a recipe for corn dog muffins that reminds me of your recipe.

That jam sounds great! My grandmother used to make fresh tomato jam when I was a kid, it was really amazing!

Katy ~ said...

I haven't had pigs-om-blankets in decades! I think a revival is due.

I've only read about mayhaw berries, so I was interested in hearing your short description and seeing the pix.

Carrie said...

My boys would LOVE these snacks! I like how you cut up the sausage links, that's a great idea! I've tried the smokies with crescent rolls but you can't take a bite without the entire sausage coming out of the roll.

Kathy said...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments! Carrie, this sausage does tend to want to come off the biscuit whole. So, you might kind of have the same issue. Or you could just cut it in half from the get-go!

Cindy said...

kathy ... you made these and they were yummy? i'm thinking of making this for our back to school teacher breakfast on friday, tell me what you think?!