Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Deceptively Delicious???

I just had to tell you all that I bought the Deceptively Delicious cook book by Jessica Seinfeld and tried a recipe yesterday on my daughter, Madeline. It was the grilled cheese sandwich with sweet potato puree. She took one bite and spit it out!!!!! I didn't think it was that bad but boy could she tell the difference. The baby liked it and so did the dog ;-). So, this morning I was thinking "what am I going to do with all this sweet potato puree?", and I tried another of her recipes. (I'm not giving up!) This time it was Pancakes with sweet potatoes. This went over a lot better than the grilled cheese. My son and the baby ate it with out a flinch. Madeline ate a few bites but I just think she wasn't in the breakfast mood this morning. It's hit or miss with her sometimes with breakfast, but at least she took some bites without spitting it out!!
So, if you are feeling a little adventurous give these a try!!

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sweet potato puree (I think it would be better with maybe just 1/3 cup??)
1 tbsp soft tub margarine spread
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 slices bread (the recipe calls for whole wheat bread but I just use what I have on hand)
** In a medium bowl, mix the cheese, puree, margarine, and salt. Spread two slices of the bread with the cheese mixture and top with the other two slices.
**Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium heat. Cook 4-5 minutes per side, until the bread is crisp and the filling is melted. ( I put margarine spread on both sides of my sandwich)

Pancakes
1 cup water
1/2 cup sweet potato puree
1/4 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pancake mix
Nonstick cooking spray
1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
Maple syrup, for serving

**In a large bowl, mix the water, sweet potato puree, and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, if using. Add the pancake mix and stir just to combine - the batter should be lumpy.
**Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over med-high heat. When the pan is hot add the oil and spoon the batter onto the griddle or pan, using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake.
**Cook until bubbles form on top of the pancakes and the batter is set, 2-3 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2-3 minutes.
( I used Bisquick and instead of water I put milk in mine. I forgot to put in an egg and they still turned out good.)

I'm really excited to try out some more recipes....Although, I can't tell you that my kids are though???!!!!

No comments: