Sunday, November 18, 2007

Mama Nise's Italian Meat Sauce

Sorry about the delay on the spaghetti sauce, but it's worth waiting for! I have to tell you that I recieved this recipe from my neighbor (Denise Moore) who is a great friend and whose family has become our second family. She is such a great cook and I strive every day to be as good as she is!!! I love everything she makes and you'll probably see her name a lot from my posts because I get quite a few recipes from her! Here's to you Mama Nise!!!! We love ya!

2 lbs. Italian Sausage
2 cups finely chopped onion
6 cloves garlic, minced
105 oz. crushed tomatoes
18 oz. tomato paste
1 ½ cups red wine (divided, 1c and ½ cup)
5 tsp oregano
5 tsp basil
1½ cups water
½ cup parsley, chopped
2 tsp thyme
1 whole bay leaf, crumbled
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
Freshly ground pepper

Remove sausage from casing.
Brown sausage and remove from pan. Reserve 2 tbsp drippings.
Sauté onion and garlic in drippings for 10 minutes.
Add crushed tomatoes, paste, 1 cup red wine, 4 tsp oregano, 4 tsp basil and remaining ingredients. Mince browned sausage in food processor/blender and add to pot.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 3 hours. Stir occasionally.

May be frozen at this point!

30 minutes before serving add remaining basil, oregano, and wine.

Serve with generous amounts of Parmesan cheese.
ENJOY!!!!!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Yep, I agree!!! The best spaghetti sauce ever! We freeze the left over sauce and then have it on french bread for quick pizza bread or in our lasagne!!! Yummm....