Black-Eyed Pea Chowder
- 1 pound diced bacon
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas with liquid
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- In a large pot over medium high heat, saute the bacon until crisp. Set aside the bacon and drain the fat, reserving about 4 tablespoons of the fat in the pot. Add the celery onion and green bell pepper to the pot and saute in the bacon fat for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the peas, consomme and stewed tomatoes and allow to heat through, about 15 more minutes. Top with crumbled bacon when serving.